News Releases & Research Results New SATREPS Projects for FY 2016 under AMED International Collaborative Research Program
News Releases & Research Results
Japan Agency for Medical Research and Development (AMED, President: Makoto Suematsu) announced the provisional selection*1 of two new projects in the Infectious Diseases Control research area concerning “Research on measures to address infectious diseases control attuned to the needs of developing countries”for the Fiscal Year 2016 Science and Technology Research Partnership for Sustainable Development (SATREPS) program under AMED's International Collaborative Research Program.
The SATREPS program is a Japanese government program that promotes international joint research. The program has been structured as a collaboration between the Japan Agency for Medical Research and Development(AMED) and the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), supported by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA). Based on the needs of developing countries, AMED and JICA cooperate to promote international joint research targeting global issues with an objective of future utilization of research outcomes through collaboration with ODA. The aim of the program is to acquire new knowledge and technology that lead to the resolution of global issues and the advance of science and technology, and through this process, to create innovations. International joint research under this program also aims to enhance the research and development capabilities of developing countries, and helps create sustainable research systems able to address and resolve issues.
For FY2016, AMED called for project proposals from researchers in Japan in the Infectious Diseases Control research area and began to accept proposals on September 9th, 2015. A total of 19 proposals was received by the close of applications on October 26th, 2016 at 12:00 noon (Japan Time). The members of the screening committee, then reviewed the proposal documents and conducted interviews with ex-ante evaluation criteria established by the committee, including review from an ODA perspective,and provisionally selected 2 new projects.Support for these projects will commence as soon as the contracts are in place and preparations are complete.
The SATREPS programs in other three research areas—Environment/Energy, Bioresources, and Disaster Prevention and Mitigation are a collaboration programs between Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) and Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA)*2 , supported by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA).
- *1 Provisional selection:
- Before a project can proceed, an international agreement needs to be signed between MOFA and the government of the developing country regarding implementation of the project, followed by an agreement between JICA and the research counterpart(s) in the developing country on the details of technical cooperation. Consequently, the situation in the developing country or the discussion of details with the research counterpart may result in the research plan for the provisionally selected project being modified or the project itself being terminated. For this reason, the selection of these projects is currently “provisional selection".
- *2 SATREPS:
- Science and Technology Research Partnership for Sustainable Development
Provisionally Selected Projects for FY 2016:
“One Health Approach to Control of Neglected Tropical Diseases with Special Attention on Sandfly and Mosquito Borne Infections in Turkey”
Republic of Turkey
(Professor MATSUMOTO Yoshitsugu; Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo)
“Development of innovative diagnostic tools to detect drug-resistant fungi and their application to the epidemiological surveillance in Brazil”
Federative Republic of Brazil
(Associate Professor WATANABE Akira; Medical Mycology Research Center, Chiba University)
* Projects are listed in alphabetical order based on the name of the principal investigator. Project names may change as a result of discussion with agencies and institutions in the partner country.
|Division Name||SATREPS Desk, Division of International Collaboration, Department of International Affairs Japan Agency for Medical Research and Development (AMED)|
|Address||1-7-1 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-0004, Japan|
|amed-satreps"at"amed.go.jp *Replace "at" with "@".|
- JST announces 12 new SATREPS projects for FY2016 - Science and Technology Research Partnership for Sustainable Development program combines international joint research with official development assistance (ODA) - (JST Press Release)
- 14 Projects Selected for SATREPS - Science and Technology Research Partnership for Sustainable Development - (JICA Press Release)
- International Collaborative Research Program: Science and Technology Research Partnership for Sustainable Development (SATREPS) (Grant Programs)
Last updated 05/11/16