Calls for Proposals FY 2023 [Call]Interstellar Initiative Beyond
|Status of Grants/Funding Opportunities
|Innovation and Clinical Research Center Project
|February 7, 2023 – April 5, 2023 (13:00pm Japan Standard Time)
Public offering content
AMED invites applications from teams of Interstellar Initiative alumni: anyone who has ever participated in the Interstellar Initiative, presented by AMED. Teams should be composed of two to four* alumni members and include a single Japan-based Principal Investigator (PI). The PI must work together with their alumni team members to complete the “Joint Application Form” in English.
|Expected number of teams to be selected
|Frontier Science to tackle the most critical biomedical challenges.
|2.0 million yen per year for each team
*excluding indirect costs
|by the end of March 2024
(*) Notes：If strongly needed, it is acceptable to recruit a researcher from outside the alumni community as the fourth member. That personnel must meet the eligibility for the application to the interstellar initiative. If you have any question, please contact AMED before you apply.
For details, Please refer to the Application Guidelines and Supplemental Guidelines.
Collaboration is key to truly innovative scientific discoveries and advancement. There is a critical need to support the intersection of ideas across international boundaries and disciplines, in particular among early career investigators (ECIs). The Interstellar Initiative has connected 290 ECIs from 35 countries including Japan with peers in related but distinct disciplines, under the guidance of Mentors who are established scientists at the forefront of their respective academic fields.
This call aims to strengthen collaborations among Interstellar Initiative alumni with an ambition to support them towards securing international grants to further develop their innovative work. It is AMED’s sincere hope that the partnerships established through Interstellar Initiative Beyond will lead to the development of long-term collaborative research programs that will be successful in competing for international funding.
- Applications are invited from teams of Interstellar Initiative alumni (researchers who have previously participated in the Interstellar Initiative, co-presented by AMED and the New York Academy of Sciences from FY2017 to FY2022), each of which must hold an independent, tenure-track or equivalent faculty position at a non-profit academic institution: a university, private research institution or national government laboratory.
- Teams with 2 members from the same institution are not eligible to apply: different branches or campuses of the same university or organization are counted as the same affiliation.
- PIs belonging to Japanese institutions who have been awarded in the 2022 Interstellar Initiative Beyond cannot apply for the 2023 round.
- Interstellar Initiative Beyond requires that teams further develop their research proposals for application to larger grants offered for international, multidisciplinary team research (see Joint Application Form). Applications without future plans for submission to such international grants are not eligible.
- Successful applicants need to receive mentoring with mentors a specified number of times during the contract period.
Please also refer to Supplemental Guidelines「第2章 応募に関する諸条件等」.
How to Apply
Please fill out the Joint Application Form with your team members. Japan-based researcher must submit the completed form on behalf of the team to AMED through e-Rad portal.
Please see the following guideline.
Last updated 02/07/23