News Releases & Research Results World's first prospective clinical test on a rare type of malignant lymphoma - Establishment of a standard treatment to improve the prognosis of patients -
News Releases & Research Results
- The results of collaborative research conducted by Lecturer Kazuyuki Shimada of the Department of Hematology, Nagoya University Hospital, Professor Hitoshi Kiyoi of the Department of Hematology and Oncology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Lecturer Motoko Yamaguchi of the Department of Hematology, Mie University Hospital (*), and researchers of multiple institutions participating in the ILV study group (*).
* A study group of researchers from multiple institutions in Japan, who agreed with the objective of the study on intravascular large B-cell lymphoma.
The key results of research are as follows:
- The world's first prospective research (*) was conducted in patients with "intravascular large B-cell lymphoma (IVLBCL)", a rare disease difficult to diagnose (about 1% of all malignant lymphoma patients), to establish a standard treatment for IVLBCL.
* A clinical study in which patients participate according to the predetermined procedures for examinations and treatments to mainly evaluate the effectiveness of treatment.
- Specifically, R-CHOP therapy, the standard treatment for diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL), the most common disease type among malignant lymphomas, was combined with a treatment to prevent the spread of lesions to the central nervous system (high-dose methotrexate plus intrathecal injection of anticancer drugs). As a result, its safety and efficacy were demonstrated in the clinical study.
- The treatment can be covered by the current Japanese health insurance and, therefore, should improve the prognosis of patients.
This research project was conducted with the support of Practical Research for Innovative Cancer Control by AMED.
The results of research were published online in The Lancet Oncology on March 12.
Shimada K., et al. Rituximab, cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisolone combined with high-dose methotrexate plus intrathecal chemotherapy for newly diagnosed intravascular large B-cell lymphoma (PRIMEUR-IVL): a multicentre, single-arm, phase 2 trial The Lancet Oncology
Last updated 03/12/20