Division for Promotion of Vaccine Research and Development Program on R&D of new generation vaccine including new modality application
|Key Fields||Infectious disease|
|R&D phase||Applied Study, Nonclinical Study/Pre-clinical Study, Clinical Study, Clinical Trials|
As a result of the current pandemic it was decided to newly establish the Strategic Center of Biomedical Advanced Vaccine Research and Development for Preparedness and Response (SCARDA) as a mechanism to lead vaccine development in order to be able to respond to infectious diseases that could prove to be a threat in the future. SCARDA implements basic research through to commercialization with industry-academia-government collaboration regarding the nurture of novel modalities (novel vaccine development methodologies) potentially effective in vaccine development, and research and development into their application in infectious disease vaccines.
From the perspective of preparing for future pandemics the program targets, with regard to the prioritized infectious diseases stipulated by the government, the provision in Japan and overseas of safe and efficient vaccines that can make an international contribution in the event of an infectious disease emergency at the earliest possible juncture, and implements (1) infectious disease vaccine development and (2) research and development into new modalities contributing to vaccine development. In addition, in the event of an infectious disease emergency, it will build up the latest knowledge, technology and evidence obtained through pre-outbreak funding, and aim for swift and flexible commercialization at the earliest stage.
Evaluation and Management Framework
- In this program, a program supervisor (PS) and program officers (POs) are assigned in order to ensure efficient use of competitive funds and smooth operations that lead to excellent accomplishments.
- The PS and POs will grasp the progress of the whole program, supervise each theme, and advise as needed. Research organizations and researchers in the program are responsible for the cooperation with the PS and POs. Considering supervision and advice by the PS and POs, plans of the themes could be possibly revised and suspended (including an early termination due to the accomplishment).
Program Supervisor (PS)
- KOGA Junichi, Ph.D., Provost, Strategic Center of Biomedical Advanced Vaccine Research and Development for Preparedness and Response (SCARDA)
Program Officers (POs) (in alphabetical order)
- ARASE Hisashi, M.D., Ph.D., Professor, Department of Immunochemistry Immunology Frontier Research Center and Research Institute for Microbial Diseases, Osaka University
- MATSUMOTO Tetsuya, M.D., Ph.D., Chief Professor, Department of Infectious Diseases, International University of Health and Welfare
- MORIKAWA Shigeru, DVM, Ph.D., Professor, Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Okayama University of Science
- SHIKANO Mayumi, Ph.D., Professor, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Department of Pharmacy, Tokyo University of Science
- TANIGUCHI Kiyosu, M.D., Ph.D., Director General, National Mie Hospital, National Hospital Organization
Last updated 10/27/22